Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Run 60 kays in 30 days – half way point check-in

I'm just over half way through my own personal challenge: run 60 kays (kilometres) in 30 days which I instigated finishing my first 12km race. After completing the race I felt my motivation slipping;  the event I had trained towards was over, I had a sore knee and wasn't very motivated to run. 

A personal commitment to run a distance over the month gave me the freedom to pick and choose when I wanted to run (if I didn't feel like it one day, no problem, I just had further to go the next day) as well as the motivation to get out the door at least a few times each week.

As it turns out this was a great post-race motivation for me, instead of just sitting inside (it's winter here so cold and dark outside) I went to see a physiotherapist about my knee. Luckily there isn't any damage so I just have some stretches and exercises to do each day and I'm going back this evening for a follow up appointment.

There have also been quite a few days where I just didn't feel like getting out of my warm comfy clothes to go outside for a run. Last night was a case in point, it had been a long day at work, it was dark by the time I got home and a cosy sit in front of the heater sounded good... 

I've been keeping track of the kilometres I've run over the month so I knew if I didn't go out, I'd have another long run to do later in the week. All I did was go out and run 2 kays (my shortest run ever!) but it means I'm keeping on top of the commitment AND it made me go out when I didn't feel like it.

Today (having gone for a run yesterday) I actually feel more up for a run today! Sometimes it's like that, the hardest part is getting out the door, and running makes you feel like running MORE.

So after 17 days of June I've run 36 kays - those two kms put me JUST in front of my 2km per day average I need to do to meet my goal. By the way, for full transparency I should state that a few of those kilometres 'run' have been part of interval training, so technically I walked some while I ran for a minute and walked for a minute.

Interval training has noticeably helped me increase my pace which has dropped by over 10 seconds per kilometre over a 5km distance (I'm a slow runner); my GPS watch helps me record all the details.

I'm feeling confident at this point that I'll fulfill the commitment to run 60 kays over 30 days, by which time I'll be into a new training regime for my next 12km race: the Perth City to Surf at the end of August. I'll let you know how I go!


No comments:

Post a Comment