Thursday, June 27, 2013

Prayin' for Rain

I feel like a real farmer now - I've spent half my week talking or thinking about rain. Luckily it's not because our livelihood depends on it raining (yet), but because if it rains, we don't have to go down to The Paddock to water the plants this weekend.

It has been an exhausting few weeks since we planted the 200 trees and shrubs, which is something I hadn't mentally prepared myself for. I had realised it would be exhausting actually putting in the 200 plants, so I took a week off and made sure all preparations that could be done ahead of time were done.

What I didn't consider was how the exhaustion of that one activity would carry forward for the next few months while we try to keep our baby trees alive. So I went ahead and made my 60 kays in 30 days commitment (I'm nearly finished!) without thinking I wouldn't be around at weekends to put in the kilometres.

I also jumped at the chance to move my upholstery course forward to June (from October) when someone else pulled out of the class - once again, without considering how this would affect our time at weekends for watering (answer = badly).

So after our disastrous after-upholstery 3 hour drive to The Paddock last weekend (just to find the neighbours cows had trampled our precious babies) we have been PRAYING for rain this week (and this is from a buddhist and an atheist).

Tomorrow night is our work Christmas-in-July party so I will be doing my rain-dance ALL night long in the hope that it rains in Woodanilling and we don't have to do the late drive again this Saturday night.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment